The Guardian - Bay Roberts

The Guardian - Bay Roberts
Submitted and transcribed by Maxine Edwards and Stephanie Crant - 2002

MF 5150 

Saturday January 2, 1937

 Apology - I, Joseph PARSONS (of Issac) Crane's Brook, Bay Roberts East, hereby apologize to Marion MERCER and Harold TAYLOR for anything I may have said regarding their reputation or character. There is no truth in any statements made regarding them, which were in circulation.


Joseph x Parsons (of Issac)


 Will Probated - Estate of Later S. J FOOTE valued at $187,694.19

 The will of the later S. J FOOTE, K.C, whose death occurred in the U.S on November 28th, was probated last week. The estate is valued at $187,694.19 and the death duties amount to $16,892.48. According to, the estate is made up of Bank and other stock amounting to $170,542, money due under life insurance $6,000, bank debts and notes, $9,450, other property $1,700. The will directs that a sum of $1,000 he paid to his confidential clerk, Miss Florence and also that a sum of $30,00 be invested by his trustee and the interest thereon to be paid to Miss in quarterly installments during her life or until she marries. In the event of her marriage it is directed she be given, $5,000 out of the fund and the balance to become part of the residuary estate. Should she die without having married, the whole fund is to become part of the residuary. The sum of $500.00 is bequeathed to a former clerk, Miss Gwendolyn Hudson. To a grandnephew and namesake, Samuel Foote, the testator left, $1,000, and to Amelia Foote, widow of his brother, George Foote, is left the sum of $1,000. The Permanent Marine Disaster Fund is left $3,000 and $1,000 is bequeathed to the Board of the United Church School, Grand Bank. The sum of $1,000 is left to a fund known as the Hunton Fund of Mount Allison University. The Testator bequeathed all the residuary of his estate to nephews, nieces, children of his brothers, Thomas, Harold and John Foote. The will was made on February 16th, 1935 and Mr. James Baxter, manager of the main office of the Royal Bank of Canada, St. John's, the executor.

 Obituary- Mrs. Ellen RYAN- It is with regret we record the sudden passing of a highly respected resident of Spaniard's Bay in the person of Ellen Ryan, on December 2nd. Mrs. Ryan, whose maiden name was Ellen ASPELL, was born at Brigus 79 years ago. She came to Spaniard's Bay at an early age as clerk with Mr. P. James, who had an extensive business there, and later with the firm of M. Cleary & Son. She married Edward Ryan, who predeceased her about three years ago. Her life was saddened by the death of her two sons, John, at an early age, and Thomas, who will be remembered as an employee for many years of the United Towns Electric Co. here. Since the death of her husband she spent the greater part of her time with her daughter, Mrs. R.J. FINN, at Woodford's, where she passed away on the above date after a very short illness. Her remains were conveyed to Spaniard's Bay by her nephew, Mr. Thomas CAIN, to the home of her nephew, Mr. Jos Ryan, from which place the funeral took place. Deceased was wide and favorably known for her gentle disposition, sympathy and charity. She leaves behind her daughter, three grandchildren, at Woodford, one sister, Mrs. John SNOW, and a brother, Michael Aspell, at Brigus, as well as a large circle of friends who will be sorry to hear of her death. Her funeral was largely attended, Rev. Dr. O'Neil officiating at the church and graveside. - R.I.P

 Memorial Notice

            William SEALEY- On Wednesday, the 29th December 1880, at Bareneed, Conception Bay, Newfoundland, after a week's illness, William Sealey passed hence in the 60th year of his age. He was converted to God in his seventeenth year, when he at once identified himself with Methodism. Several years ago when one Methodist internerant travelled the ground now covered by two Brother Sealey rendered our cause good service as class-leader and local preacher. In reply to a remark of the writer, he said when dying: "My work is done. I'm going home to be with Jesus." He was a good man and died lamented by a large number of friends.

Port de Grave, Jan. 12 1881                                       Rev. E. Taylor

 January 2, 1937

Obituary- H. Gordon CHRISTIAN - General and widespread regret and sympathy was expressed when news of the passing of Mr. H. Gordon Christian, L.R, A.M., was announced on Tuesday last. Deceased had been ill with a severe cold, which turned to pneumonia only a couple of weeks when the end came. Mr. Christian was one of St. John's leading musicians, and contributed of his ability to many social and philanthropies causes. Many times during the past few years his talents were freely given to musical concerts in Bay Roberts, especially as accompanist for the St. John's octet. Twenty-three years ago he became head of the music department of the Methodist College and also organist and choirmaster of George Street Methodist Church. His passing is a great loss, not only to his immediate family, but to the entire country. Surviving him are his wife, one daughter, Betty, mother, four sisters, Mrs. Max Parsons, Montreal, Mrs. Fred Peach, Bay Roberts, Mrs. C.M. Williams and Miss Bessie, St. John's.

 Engagement-Mr. and Mrs. W.E. BRADBURY, of Hearts Content, wish to announce the engagement of their daughter, Elsie, to Mr. Clifford J. BOND, of Grand Falls.

 Birth - On Thursday morning, December 31st, to Mr. And Mrs. E.V. HALL, a daughter.

 Died at Bay Roberts East, on Wednesday, after a short illness, Albert SPARKES, aged 62 years. Leaving to mourn a wife, one son, George at home, one daughter, Mrs. (Sergt.) Efford, of Botwood, one brother, William J. Sparkes, French's Cove, and three sisters, Mrs. John Greenland, Coley's Point, Mrs. Zelah Snow, Bay Roberts, and Mrs. Alfred Mercer, Allston, Mass., USA. Funeral takes place today, Saturday, to the U.C. church and cemetery.

 Died at her son's residence, Coley's Point, December 28th, Susannah, widow of the late George Henry JACKSON, aged 82 years. Leaving one son, Henry, at home, two daughters, Mrs. Albert Greenland, Coley's Point, Mrs. (Rev.) H.G. Tuttle, Montreal, P.Q., one brother, Henry Bowering, Coley's Point, and eleven grandchildren, to mourn their great loss. Funeral took place, December 30th, to the C. of E. church and cemetery.

 Passed peacefully away at St., John's, December 27th, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. W.S. Monroe, Isabella B. SMITH, aged 86 years, widow of the late Frederick Smith and daughter of the late Hon. J.J. Rogerson. Mrs. (Dr.) Pritchard, of this town, is a daughter.

 Passed peacefully away at St. John's, December 29th, after a short illness, Sarah, aged 86, beloved wife of the late Albert HUSSEY, of Glendale Farm, Brigus. Funeral took place from her daughter's residence, Mrs. Samuel G. Bishop, 14 Gear Street on Thursday morning, at 8 a.m., to Railway Station. Interment took place at Salmon Cove, Clarke's Beach.


Mr. Raymond IVEMY, U.C. teacher at Burin, is spending his holidays with his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Jonathon Ivemy, Coleys' Point.

 Mr. George MERCER, Principal of the Corner Brook Public School is spending his holidays here with his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Eli Mercer.

 Mrs. A.J. WOOD, formerly of this town, is now spending the winter with her son and daughter, Prof. Wm. G. Wood and Mrs. J.M. Gay, at Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

 Saturday, January 9, 1937

Obituary- On December 18th passed peacefully away to her eternal rest, SARAH JANE, beloved wife of Thos. DEERING, of Shearstown, in her 53rd year. Deceased had been a sufferer for over four years, but in her sufferings was never heard to complain. She leaves to mourn their loss a husband, one son, Wm Henry of Gloucester, Mass., Two daughters, Mrs. Walter Driscoll of St. John's and Mrs. George Bartlett, of Arlington Heights, U.S.A., one brother, Robert Parsons of Shearstown and one sister, Mrs. Archibald Bradbury of Shearstown, and a large circle of relatives and friends. Funeral took place on Sunday, December 20th, to the Pentecostal church and cemetery, Bay Roberts. Pastor and Mrs.Windsor officiating.

 The motor ship Lutzen reached St. John's yesterday with her flag half-mast. George RIDEOUT, the captain, aged 40 years, unmarried, and a native of Catalina, was drowned from the vessel off Scatterie. His brother is captain of the M.S. Young Harp.

 Married January 7th by the Rev. S.R. Cooper at the United Church Manse, Bay Roberts, Edward SNOW to Miss Annie BELBIN, both of this town.

 Mr. W.A. TRASK, who was injured several weeks ago when two speeders collided on the main line of railway near Cobb's Camp Airport, and was taken to the hospital at St. John's for treatment, is now very much improved. Mr. Trask was employed as chief accountant at the Airport.

Saturday, January 16, 1937

Obituary - Henry EVANS - Passed peacefully away, December 6th, Henry Evans, a well-known and respected citizen of this town. He was born in Bay Roberts in 1865 and was the son of William and Eliza Evans. His health had been failing for the past two years. He leaves to mourn his passing his wife, two sons, John at home, and Allan residing in Cambridge, Mass., three daughters, (Maud), Mrs. Allan Morgan, Coley's Point; (Mary), Mrs. Sidney Mercer, Westwood, Mass.; (Lily), Mrs. Stephen Butler, Cambridge, Mass., and seven grandchildren. The funeral took place on December 8th to the U.C. church and cemetery, Rev. S.R. Cooper officiating.

 Obituary - Passed peacefully away at "Floral Dale", December 3rd, after a brief illness, Gertrude, beloved and eldest daughter of the late J.J. BASTON and Mrs. Nath EARLE of Bay Roberts East. For about five years deceased had suffered from a heart ailment, but until a few days previous to her death, had given capable attention to her household duties. Thus her passing came as a severe blow to her family and her many friends. All that medical treatment and loving care could do was done, to alleviate suffering and restore health, but to no avail. Gertrude was born at English Harbour, T.B., on December 24th, 1900. When three weeks old, her mother moved to Bay Roberts, where her mother re-married. So Gertrude was not deprived of a father's care, as her stepfather took a keen interest in her all through her life until the time of her passing. For many years Gertrude was a member of the C.E.W.A., French's Cove. While health permitted she was a Sunday School teacher and a member of St. Matthew's choir. For thirteen years she worked with Mrs. Geo. Bursell, and after Mrs. Bursell entered into rest in June, 1932, she remained as house-keeper at "Floral Dale" for four and a half years until her passing, "Gertie," as she was familiarly known, was of a kind and loving disposition and was loved by all with whom she came into contact. The funeral took place on Saturday, December 5th to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Rev. W.E. Brown officiating.

James J. MAHER, office manager and director of the firm of Harvey and Co., Ltd., St. John's, died at his home in that city, Sunday, December 3rd. The late Mr. Maher had been ailing for some time, but death came unexpectedly.

Mr. And Mrs. Josiah MARSHALL, of this town, will celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary on Monday, January 18th.

Died, January 13th, after a short illness, John SNOW, son of the late Charles and Fanny Snow, aged 67 years. Leaving a wife, three daughters, Mrs. John H. Mercer, and Mrs. Fred Oates, of this town, and Mrs. Walter Bishop, Everett, Mass., one brother, Albert James Snow, Seattle, U.S.A., one step-brother, Edward Snow, of this town, two daughters, Mrs. James S. Mosdell, of this town, and Mrs. Albert Penny, of English Harbour, T.B., two step-sisters, Mrs. Wm. J. Baggs, Allston, Mass., and Mrs. Otto Selman, New Jersey, N.J., also step-mother, Mrs. Chas. Snow, of this town. Funeral took place on Friday, to the C. of E. church and cemetery.

Passed peacefully away January 6th, at Ochre Pit Cove, Nicholas C. PARSONS, aged 89 years, 11 months. Leaving wife, four sons and three daughters, one brother.

Mr. And Mrs. T.A. MacNAB, of St. John's who celebrated the 25th anniversary of their wedding on Saturday, January 9th, received the congratulations and best wishes of their many friends. Mr. and Mrs. MacNab were married in St. Columba's Church, Pont Street, London, England, by Rev. Archibald Flemming, D.D., on January 9th, 1912. Present on the occasion were the late Lieut. Gilbert T. Gordon and the late Captain Victor Gordon, brothers of Mrs. MacNab, and Dr. Lamont Patterson.

Saturday, January 23, 1937

Pierce POWER was found "Guilty" today of wounding Const. Walsh by slashing him with a razor during an attempt to arrest him on the Southside of St. John's about Christmas time. He was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment with hard labor.

Wedding - The wedding of Capt. Ross COLE to Capt. Beulah COOPER, of the Salvation Army, was solemnized at the Salvation Army Citadel, Deer Lake, November 26th, the ceremony being performed by the grooms' father, Comdt. N. Cole. The bride was attended by Mrs. Joseph Hampton, Jr., sister of the groom and Mrs. Walter George, aunt of the bride. The groom was supported by Bandsman Max Cole, brother of the groom, and Bandsman W. Woodford. The bride and groom spoke and both pledged themselves to united effort for God and the Salvation Army. After a short honeymoon the newly weds will leave for Clarke's Beach where they will be the Corps officers. - COM

On Wednesday last, January 20th, our esteemed fellow citizen, Mr. W.H.G. BURSELL, J.P., received the congratulations and good wishes of his many friends on having attained his 78th birthday.

The will of Mr. Emmanuel PIKE, merchant at Port aux Basque, who died on October29th last, has been probated. According to the statement attached to the will the testator at the time of his death was possessed of property within the jurisdiction of the Court of Nfld. to the value of $232,232.46, made up as follow: Lands and stores, $4,250; household goods, $4,000; book debts, $17,179.30; bank and other stocks, $30,900; cash in bank, $175, 103.16; other property, $800.00. The deceased bequeathed to his wife, Elizabeth Pike, the sum of $40,000, and to his son, Robert Pike, his daughters, Mrs. Florence Poole, Dartmouth, N.S.; and Mrs. Cedilla Gillam, Port aux Basque, $10,000 each; to his grand son, James Pike, and grand daughters, Mildred Miles, $5,000 each; to his grand children-children of Robert Pike, the children of Mrs. Jacob Pool, the children of George E. Pike, except James, the children of Mrs. Wilfred Gillam, $2,500 each, and to each of his great grand children the sum of $2,000 each; to Cyril Pretty the sum of $1,000; to Norah Pretty and to Annie Pike, wife of his son, Robert Pike, $500 each; to a niece, Annie Kendall, $100; to employees James Prosper and Lambert Billard $200 each, and to R.T. Williams, Richard Mercer, Lewis Shears, Leslie Vardy, Rex Dingwell, Vivian Billard and Minnie Rogers, $100 each; to James Crewe, Mrs. Jane Ingram and Mrs. C. Musgrave the sum of $50 each. Charitable Bequests: The testator left to the St. James' School, Channel, $1,000; to the C. of E. Orphanage, St. John's, $1,000; to the St. James' Church, Channel, $1,000, the said amount to be placed in bank at interest and the latter to be paid yearly towards the clergyman's stipend. The dry goods store, hardware store, together with wharves and all the stock in the stores, are divided between the testator's wife, who gets 3-5, and two grandchildren, James and George Pike. Mrs. Pike, wife of the testator, is given a life interest in certain lands at N.E. Arm. Interest in the Nfld. Clothing Co. Ltd. and interest in certain mining properties are to be divided between grandson Wilfred and Samuel Gillam. The testator's dwelling house and contents with all the fenced land on the south side of the Main road is bequeathed to his wife, to be disposed of as she may see fit. Another house and land are bequeathed to a grandson, Raymond Pike. The ninth clause in the will provides that the money loaned to St. James' church Building Committee, namely $2,000, is to be paid to the testator's wife and at her death to be divided as follows: $1,000 to Queen's College, St. John's and the balance to St. James' Church, Channel, for its upkeep. All the cash remaining on hand over and above the amounts specified, being a reserve fund for business purposes, is to be divided as follows: To his sons-in-law, Jacob Poole and Wilfred Gillam, grandson George Miles, grand daughter Wilhelmina Pike, Robert and Henry Pretty and to godchild Dulcie Read, $5. each. Mr. James H. Downey is directed to retain the management of the business as long a he conducts it to the satisfaction of Mrs. Pike, who is to hold the controlling interest. The testator also expresses the desire that the legatees should keep the business going until such time as they may decide by mutual consent to sell out, and further desires that the property shall not go out of the Pike family name.

Saturday, February 6, 1937: Issue Missing.

Saturday, February 13, 1937

Died at Country Road, February 11th, Mildred, daughter of Mayor and Mrs. John CAINES, S.S., aged 23 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are father, mother and one sister, Hazel. Funeral takes place today to the Salvation Army Citadel and cemetery.

Passed peacefully way at the Grace Hospital, St. John's, February 8th, after a short illness, Elijah Russell BISHOP, in his 73rd year. Leaving to mourn his wife, three sons, two daughters, four brothers, one sister and four grand children.

Died, January 25th, Margaret ANTHONY, infant child of William and Alice Anthony, at St. John's.

Died January 25th, Sergt. Levi CAINE, aged 83 years, at St. John's.

Died January 26th, Richard BUDDEN, aged 51 years, at St. John's.

Died January 27th, Catherine BOWNE, at St. John's.

Died January 30th, Francis MEEHAN, at St. John's.

Died January 30th, Samuel OSMOND, aged 84 years, at St. John's.

Died January 30th, Marion STEVENSON (nee SCAPLIN) beloved wife of Arthur Stevenson (Locksmith), aged 49 years, at St. John's.

Died January 31st, Isabel NOSEWORTHY, aged 24 years, daughter of the late Robert and Lydia SMITH, at St. John's.

Saturday, February 20, 1937

Birthday- Mr. John MOORE, of Smith Street, Bay Roberts, celebrated his eighteenth birthday, February 19th.

Mrs. John SPENCER of Coley's Point, celebrated her 79th birthday yesterday.

Mr. Brendan DAVISON celebrated his 28th birthday on February 19th.

Mr. and Mrs. Isaac BOWERING, 1 Monroe Street, St. John's will celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary, February 21st.

Saturday, February 27, 1937

Died February 22nd, Donald Chesley, darling child of Chesley and Dorcas BADCOCK, aged 3 weeks.

Died at Toronto, Ont., February 26th, after a short illness, Sophia, widow of the late A.J. WOOD, of this town. Left to mourn their sad loss are two sons and four daughters.

Died at Boston, Mass., February 18th, from broncho-pneumonia, Daisy R. STIRLING, eldest daughter of the late Willima R. and Mary J. Stirling. Leaving three brothers, Herbert W., Canon A.B.S. and Weston E. of St. John's, and two sisters, Mrs. (Rev.) G. Elliott of Ramsgate, England, and Mrs. (Rev.) Goodland of Twillingate. Interment at the C. of E. cemetery at St. John's.

Mr. and Mrs. Ernest SNOW arrived here from Watertown, Mass., on Tuesday last on a short visit to friends. Mrs. Snow before her marriage was Miss Susie WILCOX.

Mr. Ben BISHOP spent last weekend here from St. John's, on a visit to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Bishop.

Mr. Charles KEARLEY, of Bay Roberts East celebrated his 87th birthday on February 14th. Mr. Kearley is enjoying good health and is quite active.

Saturday, March 6, 1937

Congratulations to Capt. William PARSONS, of this town, who is celebrating his 88th birthday today.

We extend our best wishes to Mr. Albert J. FRENCH, Beachy Cove, who celebrated his 66th birthday, March 4th.

Dies of Injuries - A message was received from Manchester, Mass., on Monday last saying that Mr. Abram SNOW had died on Sunday as a result of injuries received the previous Thursday when he fell from a tree while at work. The late Mr. Snow has been living in Manchester for more than 30 years and during that time has been employed on the same estate. He visited Bay Roberts last summer and hoped soon to retire and return home. Beside his wife (formerly Miss Bertha Mercer of this town), he leaves a son and daughter residing at Manchester, Mass.

Saturday, March 13, 1937

Mr. Frederick W. ANGEL, Managing Director of the United Nail and Foundry Co. at St. John's, passed away last week, aged 63 years. He was a son of the late Capt. Wm. Bartlett, of Brigus.

Port de Grave lost one of its most prominent citizens March 4th, when that community was shocked to hear of the sudden passing of Mrs. William H. RALPH. Deceased who was 49 years of age, was possessed of a pleasant and amiable disposition. She leaves to mourn besides a sorrowing husband, an aged mother at Bishop's Cove, two sons Malcolm and Harris at home, one brother, George W. Menchions at Bishop's Cove, four sisters, Mrs. George Reid, Spaniard's Bay, Mrs. Elijah Smith at Bishop's cove, Mrs. Sidney Layte and Mrs. John Isabelle, both of Worcester, Mass. The funeral took place to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Port de Grave, March 5th, Rev. Honeygold officiating.

On February 25th, Mrs. L LeDREW celebrated her 90th birthday at the residence of her son, W.K. LeDrew, 49 Day Avenue, Toronto. Mrs. LeDrew was born in Conception Bay, Newfoundland and came to Toronto in 1890, and with the exception of two years spent in Vancouver B.C., has lived at Toronto ever since. During the Great War she knitted seven hundred pairs of socks by hand for the boys overseas. She is one of the oldest members of the Centennial United Church, and still enjoys the best of health, and is in possession of all of her faculties.

Birthdays - Mr. Zebedee EARLE, of this town, celebrated his 81st birthday on March 11th.

Mr. Hayward GREENLAND, of Coley's Point, celebrated his 25th birthday March 9th.

Died at her late residence, 17 (?) Garnet Avenue, Toronto, February 11th, Mary PRINCE, widow of the late William Prince and mother of Lew, Sam, Jack, the late Ellie and Robert Prince. Remains rested at above address. Interment Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

Saturday, March 20, 1937

Passed peacefully away, March 14th, Eliza MERCER, aged 89 years, widow of the late Stephen Mercer, of this town, and daughter of the late Adam and Jane SNOW, of Coley's Point. Left to mourn are three daughters, Caroline (Mrs. W.T. Bowering), of this town; Patience, (Mrs. Henry Collins), of Middle Brook, Gambo; Jane (Mrs. Wm. Sparkes), Vancouver, B.C., and one brother, Abram Snow of Coley's Point, also eight grandchildren and fifteen great grandchildren. Funeral took place, March 16th, to the U.C. church and cemetery.

Captain J.C. COLBOURNE, aged 74, passed peacefully away March 13th, at Bell Island. Left to mourn their sad loss are his beloved wife and one daughter, and one sister residing in Maine, U.S.A.

Passed peacefully away at St. John's, Saturday last, after a short illness, Julia, beloved wife of the late Albert BALL, shipwright. Leaving to mourn daughter, step-daughter, sister and two brothers.

Passed peacefully away March 10th, at the General Hospital, Samuel John FEAVER, of St. John's, aged 67 years. Leaving to mourn one daughter, Mrs. H.A. Cross, five sons, Owen, Alexander, Maxwell, Herbert and Roy, also two sisters, Mrs. Jen Taylor, and Annie Feaver, also one brother, Charles.

Birthday - Mrs. Wm. LAWRENCE, who celebrated her 79th birthday.

Mr. and Mrs. Edward TIPPLE, of this town, celebrated the 53rd anniversary of their wedding, March 18th. Mr. Tipple was for many years a capable and trusted employee of the Nfld. Railway, his last appt. being station agent at Whitbourne.

Rendell, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. Selby YETMAN, of Spaniard's Bay, passed on recently. The little boy had been in St. John's some time previous to his death receiving medical treatment.

Married at St. John's on March 15th, at the Presbyterian Manse, Queen's Road, Hazel Irene DWYER, of Bay Roberts, to Reginald Bate MOYSE, of Streatham, England.

Saturday, March 27, 1937

Mr. E.B. Lewis, of St. John's, spent the weekend with his daughter, Mrs. E.V. HALL. His grand-daughter was baptised on Sunday last, and named Sylvia Alice.

It is reported that several persons residing in Carbonear and Harbour Grace are heirs to a considerable amount of money from the estate of the late Mr. HIPPESLEY, who died in Boston several months ago. Mr. Hippesley was a native of Harbour Grace, but lived for many years in the U.S.A. He wrote the play "Rothschild & Co." which became very popular.

Mae EDWARDS, talented actress, of the Mae Edwards Theatrical Troupe, passed away recently at her home in Lindsay, Ontario. Her husband, Charles F. SMITH, survives her.

A woman named Mollie PENDER, aged 42 years, was killed almost instantly at St. John's on Sunday afternoon, March 21, when she was hit by a motor car driven by Hubert Feltham, of Craigmiller Ave. The accident occurred on Water St. West, opposite Marshall's Garage. The motorist was driving west at the time. The cause of the accident was purely accidental.

Born, March 25th, to Mr. and Mrs. Frank TIPPLE, twin daughters.

Died at Shearstown, March 21st, after a long illness, Sarah A., beloved wife of Robert SAUNDERS, aged 58 years. Left to mourn are husband, four sons, John, Malcolm, William, and Irving, all at home, and five daughters, Susie (Mrs. Robert Saunders), New Waterford, Cape Breton; Floyde, (Mrs. Wm. Holmes), Sippie ( Mrs. Jas Dwyer), of Shearstown; Daisy (Mrs. Clyde French), of Bay Roberts, and Rita at home. Also, three brothers, two at home and one in Worcester, Mass., two sisters at Shearstown and ten grandchildren. Funeral took place March 23.

Died March 25th, at Birch Hill, Bay Roberts West, Margaret, beloved wife of James MAHONEY and daughter of Alice and the late Thomas DELANEY, aged 45 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are husband, mother, three daughters, May Byrne, at home; Alice Byrne, at Boston, Mass., and Sister Mary Matthew (nee Rita Byrne), at Presentation Convent, St. John's; also two brothers, Mark and Leo Delaney at home; and one sister, Miss Elizabeth Delaney, who came here from Boston last week. Funeral will take place March 28th from her late residence Birch Hill.

Saturday, April 3, 1937

Died at Country Rd. March 28th, Edward SNOW, aged 25 years, son of Edward and Emma Snow. Left to mourn their sad loss are father, mother, four brothers, Albert at Toronto, Can., Raymond, William and Arthur at home; and three sisters, Gertie (Mrs. Arthur Higgins), of Goddenville; Winnie and Marcie at home. Funeral took place March 30th, to the U.C. church and cemetery, Coley's Point.

Died at Grand Falls, March 29th, after a short illness, James MERCER, formerly of Country Road, Bay Roberts, in his 60th year. Left to mourn are his wife and one son. Funeral took place April 1st, at Grand Falls.

Died after a short illness, at Buchans, April 1st, Allan MERCER, aged 26 years, son of Henry and Isabella Mercer, of Country Rd., Bay Roberts. Leaving to mourn their sad loss are father, mother, one brother and one sister. Funeral takes place April 4th, from his late residence at Country Rd. to the C. of E. church and cemetery.

Saturday, April 10, 1937

Obituary - Mullock Street, St. John's lost one of its oldest and most respected residents on April 2nd, when Hannah, beloved wife of Thomas DOWDEN, entered very quietly into rest after a lengthy illness. The deceased lady had been in failing health for some time past, and in November last her condition became critical, but in spite of all medical aid as the dawn was breaking in the sky on Friday morning she willingly gave up her soul to her maker. The late Mrs. Dowden was the daughter of the late James and Hannah ANDREWS, and was born at St. Anthony in 1867, where her father, in conjunction with his brothers, carried on a successful fishing business. The funeral took place, April 4th, and was very largely attended. The service at the home and the graveside were taken by the Rev. Canon A.H. Howitt, Rector of St. Thomas' church, of which the deceased lady had been a long and faithful member. She leaves to mourn besides her husband, two daughters, Ethel and Mrs. Harold Johns, two sons, George on the S.S. Fort Townshend, Victor at Harvey & Co's Steamship Office, one sister, Mrs. Wm. Bradbury, of New Glasgow, N.S. and six grandchildren.

Married - At the C. of E. church at Shearstown on April 8th by Rev. W.E. Brown, Gladys HAYES was united to Lewis MERCER. Both are of Bay Roberts.

Passed peacefully away after a long illness, at her residence, Bay Roberts, April 5th, Elizabeth , widow of the late Stephen ROACH, who predeceased her 11 years ago. Born Oct. 12, 1858, she was eldest daughter of the late Charles and Mary A. RUSSELL. Leaving one daughter, Stella, at home, one brother, C.E. Russell, J.P., and two sisters, Christine (Mrs. Geo. D. Corkum) at Manchester, N.H., U.S.A., and Georgina (Mrs. Wm. Pike) at St. John's, to mourn their loss. Funeral took place April 7th to the C. of E. church and cemetery at Coley's Point.

Died suddenly of a heart attack, this morning, Rebecca, beloved wife of Edward A. SNOW, aged 47 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are husband, two sons, Charles and Allan at home, and two daughters, Mamie and Letha, both at Grand Falls; one sister, Mrs. John Snow, Coley's Point, and one step-sister, Mrs. Elijah French, Coley's Point; also one step-brother, Mr. Esau Lyons, Long Beach Pond. Funeral takes place April 13th to the U.C. church and cemetery.

Passed peacefully away April 3rd, after a week's illness, at Spaniard's Bay, Frances COLLINS (Aunt Fanny), widow of the late George Collins, aged 86 years. Left to mourn are three sons, David S., at Montreal, Llewellyn, at Wilcox, Sask., George W., at home; one daughter, Mrs. Josiah Neil, at home; two sisters, Mrs. Herbert Barrett and Mrs. J.R. Barrett, of Spaniard's Bay; one brother, Mark Smith, of Port McNichole, Ontario; also eleven grandchildren. Funeral took place April 5th. Interment at C. of E. cemetery.

Entered into rest, April 3rd, Louisa, beloved wife of Henry J. WYATT, of St. John's. The deceased was a step-sister to Sir John R. Bennett.

Saturday, April 17, 1937

A message to the Chief of Police received on Wednesday from Bell Island reported the death of William LANE, miner, aged 37, at Bell Island, as a result of having his legs crushed by an ore car on Tuesday night. It appears that the deceased, who with other men, was riding on an ore car, jumped out and fell under the wheels and two cars of the train passed over his legs. He was attended by Drs. Templeman and Lynch, but despite their efforts, he passed away Wednesday morning, after an amputation of both legs. - Telegram.

Mr. John RICHARDS, freight conductor with the Nfld. Railway, passed away suddenly at Pasadena, a stopping point between Deer Lake and Humbermouth, when in charge of a train on Sunday last. Mr. Richards resided at Port aux Basques and his record in railroading covers many years. Death was due to heart trouble.

Born April 14th, to Mr. & Mrs. Frank HIENZE, (nee Sue SOPER), a son. Birthplace, Women's Hospital, New York City.

Born to Loretta, wife of Robert J. MURPHY, at St. Clare's Mercy Hospital, St. John's, April 13th, a son.

Patrick BURNS, aged 45 years, a native of St. John's was killed instantly on April 13th when he dropped down an elevator shaft at the Quincy Cold Storage plant in the north end of Boston.

Died, April 15th, Isaac KELLY, at Coley's Point, in his 68th year. Leaving to mourn a wife and three sons, Ernest and Gilbert at home, and Fred employed with the Daily News, at St. John's; also three sisters and four grandchildren. Funeral takes place April 17th to the C. of E. church and cemetery.

Died April 11th at Mount Pearl Park, Leonard J. TAYLOR, aged 81 years. Leaving to mourn wife, one son, Ronald, city; also seven daughters, Mrs. C. Parillo, New York; Mrs. R. Sceviour and Mrs. N. Courtney, New Jersey; Mrs. Lewis Dawe, Bay Roberts; Mrs. Arch Peet; Mrs. Fred Cornick, Mrs. Jack Nash, city; one brother George, Southside, city; two sisters, Mrs. James Mathieson, Detroit; Mrs. Isobel Roper, city. Funeral took place April 14th from his daughter's residence, Mrs. A. Peet, 65 St. Claire Ave., St. John's.

Died at Heart's Content, April 8th, Walter MOORE, aged 64 years. Left to mourn are wife and six children - Annie and Cecil in New York; Victor and Edwin in Vancouver, B.C.; Adah in Oakland, Calif., and Mary at Harbor Grace.

Saturday, April 24, 1937

Passed peacefully away at Bay Roberts, April 18th, JANE, beloved wife of Charles HOOD, aged 76 years. Left to mourn are husband and two sons, Isaac in Ajo, Arizona, and James in Chicago, Ill., USA. Funeral took place April 20th to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Rev. W.E. Brown officiating.

Died at Coley's Point April 21st after a short illness, Jessie Vivian, beloved daughter of Robert and Lillian PARSONS, aged 15 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are father, mother, two brothers and two sisters. Funeral took place April 23rd to the C. of E. church and cemetery. Rev. W.E. Brown officiating.

Obituary - The death of Mr. James E. BUTLER occurred at his home, 98 Pleasant Street, St. John's on April 16th after a brief illness. The deceased was the youngest son of the late Constable John T. Butler and Ziporah (Snow) Butler and was born at Old Perlican 46 years ago. At the time of his death, Mr. Butler was employed with the Newfoundland Airport at Cobb's Camp as timekeeper, and only arrived in St. John's a few days ago on a brief visit when he was taken ill. Left to mourn their loss are his wife (nee Eleanor Dowden), seven daughters and one son, two sisters, Mrs. Wm. Green, Troy, N.Y., and Mrs. John Brown, Newtonville, Mass., also four brothers, Rev. W.R., U.C. Minister, Old Perlican; Capt. Abner, St. John's; Frederick, Roxbury, Mass.; Jesse, Malden, Mass., U.S.A. The funeral took place Sunday to the General Protestant Cemetery.

Saturday, May 1, 1937

Died after a lingering illness, at Bay Roberts, April 27th, Hedley CRITCH, aged 63 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are wife, one son, Gordon, and two daughters, Alice, who is now home on a visit from Toronto, and Jessie (Mrs. Albert Mercer), of Bay Roberts East; also three sisters and one brother. Funeral took place April 29th to the U.C. church and cemetery. Rev. Isaac French officiating.

Died at Crane's Brook, Bay Roberts East, on April 19th, Susie, widow of the late William PARSONS (of Samuel), aged 63 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are three sisters, Elizabeth (Mrs. A.A. French), Clarke's Beach; Ethel (Mrs. W.T. French), Bareneed; Fannie (Mrs. M. White), Columbus, Ohio; and one adopted son, William Parsons, at home. Funeral took place April 20th to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Rev. W.E. Brown officiating.

Passed peacefully away April 19th at St. Anthony Hospital, Captain Colin TAYLOR, in his 75th year. Leaving to mourn wife, two sons and three daughters.

Passed peacefully away April 17th, at Broad Cove, B.D.V., Francis Gordon (Frank), eldest son of James and Rhoda THISTLE, aged 22 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are father and mother, three sisters, Violet and Millicent at home, Mrs. Alfred C. Pippy of St. John's; two brothers, George and Henry at home.

Married at Brigus April 25th by Rev. E. Broughton, CARL, youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. Wm. RUSSELL of this town to Blanche, second eldest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Frank GOSSE, Spaniard's Bay.

Stephen BARRON, the 19 year old son of Mr. & Mrs. Michael Barron of Holyrood, lost his life Friday evening, April 23rd, passing away at the General Hospital shortly before 8:30 p.m. as a result of having been hit by a motor car driven by Frank St. John, son of Mr. John J. St. John of Conception Hr. About 6:10 p.m. Stephen Barron, who had walked out the Salmonier Rd., arrived at its junction with the main road through Holyrood. At that moment Frank St. John, with his sister as a passenger, and driving car No. 2108, owned by his father, was proceeding north towards North Arm. The motor car was right up on the deceased before either the driver or the victim were aware of each others proximity, and St. John swerved the car, trying to avoid hitting the man, but his attempt was useless and the deceased was hit. Friday night the car was in the same position as at the time of the accident. With its front wheels turned up the Salmonier Rd. and its rear wheels nearly at right angles to the main road, and resting almost against a telephone post which it had hit. The injured man was picked up in an unconscious condition and Dr. O'Kelly was called, and Rev. Fr. Kavanagh and Rev. Fr. Peddle were quickly on the scene. Constable Nugent phoned Chief of Police O'Neill and the ambulance was sent out and at the same time Sergeant Walsh with Constables March and St. George left for the scene. Photos and measurements were taken. The ambulance with the injured man arrived at the General Hospital at 8:15 p.m., and ten minutes afterwards he passed away. - Daily News.

Saturday, May 8, 1937

Died at Country Road, May 2nd, Ann, beloved wife of the late Thomas MERCER, aged 78 years. Left to mourn is one daughter, Mrs. Robert Dawe, Brigus Road. Funeral took place May 4th to the S.A. Citadel, Major Porter officiating. Interment was made in the S.A. cemetery at Coley's Point.

Saturday, May 22, 1937

Mrs. Samuel WINSOR, of Corner Brook, arrived here on Tuesday on a short visit to her son, Pastor A.S. Winsor.

Mrs. Wm. DAWE (nee Marcie BISHOP), and two children, David and Mildred, of Corner Brook, arrived here on Tuesday on a visit to her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Bishop.

Died after a long illness, May 21st, William MERCER (of Benj.) aged 78 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are wife, three daughters, Lily (Mrs. Moses Head), Comfort Cove, N.D.B., Florence (Mrs. Norman Snow), Coley's Point, and Marcie, at home; also one brother Henry Mercer, and nine grandchildren. Funeral takes place tomorrow (Sunday) to the U.C. church and cemetery.

Died suddenly at Heart's Content, May 15th, Archibald FARNHAM, aged 68 years. Left to mourn are wife, three daughters, Mrs. George Bailey, New London, Conn., Mrs. Annie Batson, at Heart's Content and Mary at Quincy, Mass., and one son Eugene of Bay Roberts. Funeral took place May 16th to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Rev. H.W. Facey officiating.

Passed peacefully away at his residence, The Gables, Waterford Bridge Road, May 18th, the Honourable Nathan ANDREWS, M.L.C. Funeral took place Thursday at St. John's.

Passed peacefully away April 20th, at the home of her niece, Mrs. Samuel J. Pretty, Dildo, Trinity Bay, Mary, widow of the late Archibald DROVER, in her 87th year. Funeral took place Wednesday from the residence of George H. Tucker, 20 Gear Street, St. John's.

Saturday, May 29, 1937

Charles GUSHUE, aged 77 years, resident of Brigus, was found drowned Wednesday morning near the public wharf here. The deceased had resided with his brother, Robert, and on Tuesday night he was at the home of Mr. George Spracklin, a friend of his. About 10 o'clock, he left there to return home, and when he did not return an alarm was raised. Wednesday morning searchers found his body in the water near the public wharf. It is believed on his way home he missed his footing in the darkness and went over the "Drawbridge."

Died May 23rd, after a lingering illness, Alvan K., youngest son of Isaac and Fannie BOWERING, aged 15 years and 8 months. Left to mourn their sad loss are father, mother, three brothers, Fred and Gordon at Grand Falls, and Rufus at home, and one sister, Helen, at home. Funeral took place May 25th to the U.C. church and cemetery, Coley's Point, Rev. S.R. Cooper officiating.

Died at French's Cove, May 28th, after a short illness, Azariah, son of John Charles and Alice BADCOCK, aged 22 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are father, mother, one brother, Jesse, and two sisters, Mildred and Susie, both at St. John's. Funeral takes place Sunday, to the C. of E. church and cemetery.

Saturday, June 5, 1937

Died at Bay Roberts, May 29th, after a long illness, William MOSDELL (of Sam'l), aged 72 years. Left to mourn are wife, one son, Samuel at home, one daughter, Mrs. Wm. Earle, French's Cove, and one sister, Mrs. Charlotte Watts, of Everett, Mass. Funeral took place May 31st to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Rev. W.E. Brown officiating.

Saturday, June 12, 1937

Mrs. Herbert NEWELL (nee Emmie WILCOX) and daughter, Beth, arrived here from Ottawa, Ont. via St. John's by the S.S. Fort Townshend, on a visit to Mrs. Newell's parents, Mr. & Mrs. Arch Wilcox.

Mrs. J. C. GOOBIE and two children of Corner Brook are here on a visit to her father, Mr. D. G. Fraser.

Mr. & Mrs. Harry DAWE arrived here recently from Boston, Mass., on a visit to their parents, Mr. & Mrs. S.R. Dawe, and Dr. & Mrs. Pritchard.

Died at Coley's Point, June 8th, after a short illness, Phyllis, youngest child of Allan and Clara DAWE, aged 2 years. Funeral took place June 10th to the C. of E. church and cemetery.

Passed peacefully away at St. John's, June 5th, Isaac C. MORRIS, in his 80th year, from a heart attack. Leaving to mourn two sons, Roland, in Toronto, and Rupert of St. John's, and seven daughters, Mrs. Fred Allen of Montreal; Mrs. Linne LaLondie of Orange, California; Mrs. Edith Rougrock of New York; Mrs. Sholto Morrison of Hazel Hill, Canso; Mrs. Kenneth Lee and Mrs. John Baird at St. John's, and Eva at the Children's Memorial Hospital, Montreal. Funeral took place June 7th, from his late residence Campbell Ave., to Gower Street Church. Interment at the General Protestant Cemetery at St. John's.

  • Deceased was born at St. John's in 1857, the son of Benjamin Walter Morris and Margaret (Latimer) Morris, of Belfast, Ireland. He was educated at the Old Church and Continental (Central) School and was trained for the teaching profession with a view to entering the ministry. Instead he became a sail-maker, and became very successful until sailing declined in numbers. Of late years the business has been carried on by his sons. He erected the Morris Building on Queen Street, but he lost this through some financial difficulties a few years ago. The late Mr. Morris was Major of the City of St. John's for 1919 and 1920. CER (excerpts from his obituary).

Passed away at St. John's after a lingering illness, on June 6th, William J. BARRON, aged 68 years. Left to mourn are a wife, one son, Thomas, and one brother. Funeral took place Tuesday from his late residence, No. 1 Church Hill to Railway Station. Interment at Carbonear.

Saturday, June 19, 1937

Corner Brook, June 5 - Grace HOLLETT, three year old daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Frank Hollett, Buckles' Valley, died in Corner Brook General Hospital Thursday afternoon as a result of a burning accident which occurred at her home about three hours previous. The accident occurred at about ten o'clock. The child's mother had gone to the well for a bucket of water, leaving her little girl sitting in her cot. During the mother's absence it is presumed that the child was playing with matches and set fire to the bedclothes in the cot. When the mother returned she found the child enveloped in flames. Dr. Fitzgerald who was visiting a patient in the house next door, was on the scene promptly, and he took the child to the hospital where she passed away about three hours later without regaining consciousness. - Humber Herald

Died at Coley's Point South today, after a short illness, Cecil Thomas, second eldest son of John and Rhoda BOWERING, aged 15 years and 6 months. Left to mourn their sad loss are father, mother, one sister, Nellie, three brothers, Doug at Grand Falls and Harris and Edward at home. Funeral takes place June 21st to the U.C. and cemetery, Coley's Point.

Obituary - Charles GUSHUE - Left to mourn besides his widow, Mrs. Lillian Gushue, of St. John's, are five daughters, Mrs. Harold Hill of St. John's; Miss Blanche Gushue at Vancouver; Mrs. Fred Roberts of Brigus; Effie Gushue at Montreal; Miss Ruth Gushue, nurse at the Sanatoruim Hospital, St. John's; and two brothers, Messrs. Robert and Moses Gushue, also a sister, Mrs. Ed. J. Roberts, of Brigus.

Saturday, June 26, 1937

Fatal Accident at Mill - Shortly after seven p.m. on Saturday last a fatal accident occurred at the Mill, when Alexander BEST of Bishop's Falls, employed by the A.N.D. Co. Ltd., as a construction worker was struck and crushed by a swinging derrick bucket. The unfortunate man was engaged in picking rock on one side of a rock cut, when the bucket, swinging from the opposite side of the cut, killed him almost instantly. The deceased was married and the father of two children. He was hired the previous day. - Grand Falls Advertiser, June 19.

Obituary - After a long illness, Mrs. Samuel PITTMAN, aged 55 years, died at her home on Webster Street, Whitney Pier, N.S., Sunday, June 6th. She had been ailing for several years, although it was only in recent months that her condition became serious and ended in death. She had lived at the Pier for many years, where she was widely known and esteemed. Hundreds attended the funeral on June 8th, from her late home to Eastmount Cemetery, where interment was made. Service at the home and at the Victoria United Church was conducted by Rev. A.C. Legrow, pastor, who also officiated at the graveside. The church was filled to capacity with friends, neighbors, acquaintances and relatives of the deceased, whose passing occasioned widespread regret in Sydney and throughout Cape Breton generally. She was 55 years old, a native of Bareneed, Nfld., and came to Sydney in 1902, and before her marriage was employed with the late Mrs. Maria Muggah, prominent Whitney Pier resident. Beside her husband she is survived by three sons, George, Herman and John; one daughter, Eva, all at home. Also her aged mother, Mrs. Sarah Stevens, at Bareneed, Nfld., a brother, William, also there, and a sister, Mrs. Bugden, of Cape Breton, besides a host of relatives in Glace Bay, Sydney Mines and Vancouver. Pallbearers were: Thomas Stone, A. Bert, John Luther, Sam Stevens, Andrew Tavenor and Malcolm Pitcher.

Obituary - Wednesday, June 23rd, Fanny, widow of the late Samuel MERCER (of Samuel), Mercer's Cove, passed out of the shadow into the clearer light, into the undiscovered country, from whose bourne no traveler returns. "Aunt Fanny" was one of those who had borne the burden and the heat of the day, having almost reached her four score years. She enjoyed fairly good health up to about two years ago. Since then her health has been failing, and for the past two months she has been confined to her bed. There are left to mourn their sad loss four sons, viz: Capt. Isaac of New Westminster, B.C., Gus at Vancouver, B.C., Snowden at St. John's, and Gilbert at home, and five daughters, Mrs. S.A. Croucher, Boston, Mass., Mrs. Albert Parsons, Detroit, Mich., Mrs. Bert Moores, Blackhead, B.D.V., Mrs. A.E. Mercer and Mrs. Albert Badcock, Bay Roberts; also twenty-two grandchildren and two great grandchildren, one brother, William J. French, Toronto, and two sisters, Mrs. S. Crane, St. John's, and Mrs. John Cox, Toronto. Funeral took place from her late residence, Mercer's Cove, June 25th to the U.C. and cemetery, Rev. S. R. Cooper officiating, assisted by Rev. Isaac French. Funeral arrangements were in charge of undertaker Jas. G. Baggs.

Miss Betty JOY, of Bay Roberts, is here on a visit to her sister, Mrs. Clifford Hierlihy, West Corner Brook. - Humber Herald.

Passed peacefully away at Coley's Pt., June 23rd, Esau FRENCH, aged 74 years and 8 months. Left to mourn are wife, two sons, William, at Brockton, Mass., Garfield, at home, three daughters, Mrs. Wm. Davis, Dorchester, Mass., Mrs. Walter Little, Cambridge, Mass., and Mrs. George Timpany, Doxbury, Mass. Funeral took place on Friday to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Coley's Pt. Rev. W.E. Brown officiating.

Passed peacefully away at Freshwater, Carbonear, June 25th, Cecily, beloved wife of Reuben PIKE. Leaving to mourn their sad loss husband, two sons and four daughters. Interment at Freshwater, Carbonear, June 27th.

Saturday, July 3, 1937

Mrs. D.L. NICHOLS and three children, and Miss Minnie NORMAN, arrived here from Cambridge, Mass., via St. John's by the S.S. Nova Scotia, on a visit to their father, Mrs. Isaac Norman.

The Guardian extends hearty congratulations to ex-Sergt. Robert J. WELLS, of this town, who celebrated his 80th birthday, June 23rd.

Saturday, July 10, 1937

Wedding - The marriage of Irene Barrett, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D.S. COLLINS, of 345 Argyle Ave., Verdun, Montreal, to Mr. Fred G. FIRMIN, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Firmin, took place June26th, in Evangel Tabernacle, Drummond Street, Montreal, the Rev. C.E. Baker officiating. The bride is the daughter of David S. and Mrs. Collins, formerly of Spaniard's Bay, but now residing in Montreal.

Died at Coley's Point, July 8th, Horatio FRADSHAM, aged 80 years. Leaving to mourn their sad loss are two sons, Albert and Isaac, both at Corner Brook, and one daughter, Mrs. Azariah Russell, at Coley's Pt. Funeral takes place July 11th to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Mr. James Norman officiating.

Passed peacefully away at St. John's, July 4th, Katherine MURPHY, beloved wife of John A. SAGE. Leaving to mourn husband, one son, and one daughter, and one sister, Mrs. Chas. Gamberg. Funeral took place on Tuesday from her late residence, 99 Circular Rd., St. John's.

Passed peacefully away at St. John's, July 4th, Maud, eldest daughter of the late Arthur and Mary HISCOCK.

Passed peacefully away at Carbonear, July 6th, Louis WILLIAMS, aged 73 years. Leaving to mourn wife, two sons and four daughters.

Passed peacefully away at Carbonear, July 1st, Emily, wife of the late George F. POWELL. Leaving to mourn two sons, one daughter, three sisters, 14 grandchildren.

Saturday, July 17, 1937

Died at Shearstown, July 13th, Eva, beloved wife of Loyal MERCER, of Corner Brook, aged 35 years. Leaving to mourn father, mother, two sons and one daughter; also one brother and two sisters. Funeral took pace, July 15th, to the United Church at Shearstown, Rev. S.R. Cooper officiating.

Passed away at Broadview, Clarke's Beach, July 13th, ex Head Const. Levi SHEPPARD, aged 68 years. Funeral took place July 15th to Salmon Cove Church.

Death claimed a third victim at Clarenville, Wednesday, as a result of drinking "Columbian" spirits, which is used at the plant of the Colas Company in the manufacture of "Colas", a road emulsion, Charles Lyons and Patrick McHUGH having passed away on Tuesday morning from the same cause. A fourth victim, Edward LONG, arrived by the express Wednesday night from Clarenville and is now at the Grace Hospital with a possible chance of saving his life. "Columbian" spirit is a trade name for the highest grade of methylated spirits, which is highly refined and odourless. Edward Long is a native of Port Blandford. Tuesday morning the Dept. of Justice received a message from Const. Anthony at Clarenville, stating that two men had died under mysterious circumstances and Sergeant Walsh of the Criminal Investigation Dept. went to Clarenville by Tuesday's express to make an investigation, arriving at Clarenville at 11 p.m. On arrival at Clarenville he found that a third man named Michael WILLIAMS, an employee of the Railway, was lying critically ill in a Railway shack at Clarenville. He was attended by Dr. Cross who held out no hope for recovery. He passed away at 2:45 a.m. Thursday. The first victim, C.W. Lyons, was 38 years old, a native of Toronto, married with one child, and living in a bungalow erected by the colas Co. at Clarenville. He was chief engineer of the plant. Patrick McHugh, the second victim, was 38 years old, with his home at Glenwood. He was married with a wife and one child living at present at Bishop's Falls. He was night watchman on the plant. Michael Williams was 42 years old, married with a wife and ten children living at Whitbourne. Mrs. Williams was notified of the serious condition of her husband, and she went to Clarenville by the express Tuesday, and was with her husband at the moment of his death. Monday morning Edward Long had about a tbsp. of "Columbian" spirit with the three deceased, and much less about teatime. This spirit shows no bad results for about 24 hours and then commences to work. Mr. Long on arrival in the city, was partially blind and partially paralyzed. The consumer of this spirit, if taken in sufficient quantity, goes blind and probably within 48 hours dies. Mr. Long was conveyed to the Grace Hospital in the ambulance. Sergeant Walsh took charge of the three bodies and brought them to the morgue Wednesday night after arrival of the express, where a post mortem examination was held by Dr. M.F. Cashin. The body of C.W. Lyons was taken in charge by undertaker Carnell and will be embalmed and the body went out by Thursday's express to Clarenville, where interment took place. The body of Patrick McHugh was also taken by undertaker Carnell and interment will take place in St. John's. The body of Michael Williams will be interred at Whitbourne. Sergeant Walsh brought from Clarenville all spirits in the possession of the cola Plant and also that amongst the belongings of the deceased, and this spirit will be analyzed. - Daily News

Wedding - Chard-Cornick - At the Church of England Cathedral, St. John's, on June 22nd, by Rev. J. Brinton, Florence, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. F. J. CORNICK, of St. John's, to Rev. William CHARD, son of the late Mr. & Mrs. Wm. Chard, formerly of Coley's Point.

Fatal Accident at Bell Island - William SHEPPARD, married, with seven children, lost his life Thursday afternoon at Bell Island, being killed instantly by a fall of rock from the roof of the submarine slope. He was a resident of Scotia Ridge. Dr. Lynch was notified but found that death had resulted immediately.

Saturday, July 24, 1937


Dorothy MERCER, daughter of Fred Mercer of Dorchester, Mass., arrived here on Wed. last on a visit to her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Morgan, Coley's Point.

Mrs. Edward O'KEEFE and three children arrived here from Brooklyn, N.Y. recently on a visit to her mother, Mrs. John R. DAWSON.

Mrs. J.C. GOOBIE (nee Jean FRASER) and two children, returned to Corner Brook on Sunday last, after spending the past two months here, visiting her father, Mr. D.G. Fraser.

Mrs. Wm. LAWRENCE, jr., and two children, of Hamilton, Ont., arrived here by Wednesday's express on a months vacation, the guests of Mr. & Mrs. Wm. Lawrence, sr. This is Mrs. Lawrence's first visit home for 23 years.  She was accompanied by her sister, Mrs. Wm. French, and child, of Hamilton.

Miss Florence BELBIN, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. W.A. Belbin, formerly of Bay Roberts, arrived here on Sat. last from Everett, Mass., to spend the summer months with grandfather, Mr. Robert MERCER. Miss Belbin has just finished a successful scholastic career and graduated with honors just previous to leaving U.S.A.

Abram BATTEN, of Bareneed, one of the crew of Capt. Steve Parsons' schooner, the Norma L. Conrad, who was rushed to the General Hospital early this week for an operation for appendicitis, passed away Friday morning. Mr. Batten was a man about 60 years old.

Married on June 16th, 1937, at the Balsam Hotel, St. John's, by Rev. H. Tomkinson, Muriel YOUNG to Wilson PARSONS of Bay Roberts.

Married at St. Mary's Church, St. John's, on July 15th, by Rev. Canon A.B.S. Stirling, Hazel Muriel, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. E.G. ARNOTT, South Side, St. John's, to Robert Chesley, son of Mr. & Mrs. R. DAWE, Craigmillar Ave., St. John's.

Died at Shearstown, July 18th, Alfred Roland MERCER, son of Nathaniel and Charlotte Mercer, aged 7 years and 8 months. Leaving to mourn father, mother, one brother and three sisters. Funeral took place July 20th to the United Church and cemetery. Rev. S. R. Cooper officiating.

Died at Brigus on Thursday. Capt. Moses BARTLETT, aged 80 years. Leaving wife, two sons, two daughters and one sister to mourn their sad loss.

Saturday, July 31, 1937

Wedding - On July 29th, All Hallows' Church, North River, was the scene of a very pretty wedding of much local interest, when at the Nuptial Mass, celebrated by the pastor, Rev. M.F. Dinn, B.A. Miss Bride MAHONEY became the bride of Mr. John MORRISSEY. The bride was charmingly attired in blue taffeta silk and bridal veil. She was assisted by Miss Mary Mahoney, dressed in lemon crepe. Both carried bouquets of carnations and maiden-hair fern. T.M. Morrissey, brother of the groom, acted as best man. Following the marriage ceremony the bridal party returned to the groom's home, where breakfast was served, and at which Rev. Father Dinn was guest of honor. Immediately after breakfast the newly-married couple motored to St. John's, where they will spend their honeymoon.

Died suddenly July 25th, Emma Julia, beloved wife of Eli MERCER, aged 61 years. Leaving a husband, two sons, George and Irving, and one daughter, Lillian, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral took place July 26th to the United Church and cemetery, Rev. S.R. Cooper officiating.

Died at the General Hospital, St. John's, this morning, Emmie, beloved daughter of Augustus and Ethel BISHOP, Coley's Point, aged 15 years. The remains will arrive by tonight's train.

Saturday, August 7, 1937

88 Years Young - Mr. William LAWRENCE of this town, celebrated his 88th birthday on August 5th. Mr. Lawrence was born in Carbonear and has lived in Bay Roberts for over 50 years.


Mrs. Joseph CHARD, of Ailik, Labrador, is spending a vacation here on a visit to her mother, Mrs. Isaac SPARKES. She returns home in October.

Mrs. Edna EARLE, of New Westminster, B.C., arrived here last week on a visit to her brother, Mr. Arch Wilcox. This is Mrs. Earle's first visit home for forty-three years.

Mrs. Solomon EVELEIGH, of Newstead, N.D.B., after spending a week in St. John's, arrived here on Tuesday last on a short visit to her brother, Mr. Geo. C. CAVE, Smith Street.

Mr. & Mrs. John NORTH, of Glace Bay, Cape Breton, N.S., arrived here by the express on Monday and are on a visit to Mrs. North's sister, Mrs. Elijah Cave. Mr. North was formerly of Bay Roberts, the son of the late Benjamin North, and left here thirty-six years ago for N.S., where he has been employed in the coal mines at Glace Bay. Mrs. North is a daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Nathaniel MUGFORD, of Port de Grave.

Captain and Mrs. Edward RUSSELL, S.A., and three children, of Rutland, Vermont, U.S.A., arrived here on Wed. on a three weeks' visit to Capt. Russell's parents, Mr. & Mrs. William Russell, Bay Roberts West. This is Capt. Russell's first visit in fifteen years.

Mr. & Mrs. Jas. G. BAGGS celebrates their 24th wedding anniversary on August 8th.

Died at Port de Grave, Aug. 2nd, James MUGFORD, son of Charles and Elizabeth Mugford, aged 24 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are father and mother. Funeral took place Aug. 4th to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Rev. Honeygolde officiating.

Died, Aug. 4th, at Port de Grave, Ronald TUCKER, son of Winnifred and the late John Henry Tucker, aged 23 years. Leaving to mourn mother, four brothers and three sisters. Funeral took place Aug. 6th to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Rev. Honeygolde officiating.

Saturday, August 14, 1937


Mrs. W.J. WILLS and daughter, Kathleen, arrived here recently from Detroit, Michigan, on a visit to her mother, Mrs. (Capt.) John DAWE of Coley's Point.

Mr. & Mrs. Samuel DAWE of Grand Falls, arrived here by Wednesday's express on a few weeks vacation. They are the guests of Mr. Dawe's mother, Mrs. George KELLY, Coley's Point.

Mr. & Mrs. Thomas RICHARDS and daughter, Pearl, arrived here recently from Medford, Mass., on a visit to relatives and friends. Mr. Richards is a son of Mr. & Mrs. George Richards of Bareneed. This is his first visit in eleven years. Mrs. Richards is the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William BRADBURY, of Crane's Brook.

Died after a lingering illness at Shearstown, August 7th, Abner SNOW, aged 77 years. Left to mourn are two sons and three daughters. Funeral took place August 8th, to the United Church and cemetery, Rev. Arch Norman officiating.

Saturday, August 21, 1937

Falls Over Cliff and is Killed - Word was received Friday afternoon of last week of the accidental death of one of the English school boys at Trout River. The unfortunate youth, EDWARD RALPH GURNEY, was killed on Thursday when he fell over a cliff near Trout River. He was one of a party of seventy odd public school boys who had arrived the previous week to spend two months on an exploration tour.  The remains were brought up by the Cutter on Sunday for interment at St. Mary's cemetery, Curling. The funeral took place Monday.

A Sad Drowning Accident - (Twillingate Sun) - On Saturday afternoon, July 31st, at about 2 o'clock, Frederick LACEY, aged 24 years and married, left his home alone to go after grass in Dildo Run. He did not return by twelve o'clock on Saturday night and it was feared that something serious had happened. Search parties went to locate him, but all night searching did not reveal any trace of the missing man. On Sunday morning his boat with some grass and filled with water was discovered about one mile from the northern entrance of Dildo from where they thought the boat had driven, and to their horror, Fred Watkins, Leslie Elliot and Leander Watkins saw the body on the bottom in about seven feet of water in a place known as "Horse Island Tickle". The deceased was the U.C. School Teacher, South Side, Summerford, where he has been teaching for three years, and was taking up his duties again in September. He was a native of Bareneed. Interment took place at the U.C. cemetery, Summerford. The officiating clergyman was Rev. LeDrew from Herring Neck.

On Thursday, August 5th, the angel of death visited and cast a gloom over Crane's Brook, when John J. BRADBURY, aged 65 years, was called home. Leaving to mourn wife, two sons, Solomon at Manchester, Mass. and Jack at home; three daughters, Mrs. George Dawe, Manchester, Mass., Mrs. Isaac Mercer of this town and Mrs. John Driscoll, of St. John's, also one brother, Richard Bradbury and two sisters, Mrs. Beatrice Hussey, Everett, Mass.; Mrs. W. J. Badcock, Allston, Mass. and eight grandchildren.  Funeral took place today to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Rev. G. Grouchy officiating.

John SEYMOUR, aged sixty-five, a widower living at Botwood, was killed last week by a train owned by the A.N.D. Co. operating on the Botwood branch. The same day Mrs. Carol Elliott of Botwood was struck and seriously injured by Fire Patrol speeder while she was walking along the railway track.

Wedding - A very pretty wedding was solemnized at Bell Island, Wednesday, when Miss Eilee I. MEWS, A.T.C.L., daughter of Mr. J. L. Mews, of Bell Island, became the bride of Mr. Carl A. HOWSE, B.A., son of Rev. & Mrs. Charles Howse of Carbonear. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Sidney Bennett in the United Church.

Wedding - At St. Patrick's Church, Carbonear on August 18th, a lovely wedding took place, the contracting parties being Miss Nellie McCARTHY, daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth McCarthy of Carbonear and Mr. Cyril O'NEILL, son of M.J. O'Neill, Esq., J.P., of Bay de Verde. The ceremony with Nuptial Mass was performed by the Rev. Dr. O'Neill, brother of the groom, assisted by Rev. Father Dinn, P.P. of North River.

Passed peacefully away at Clarke's Beach Brads, August 10th, William Thomas MOORE, aged 86 years. Left to mourn are wife, one son, Wm. Jas., Clarke's Beach, one daughter, Mrs. Isaac Russell, Bay Roberts; three brothers and three sisters; also 13 grandchildren; 15 great grandchildren. Funeral took place, August 12, to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Rev. G. Gruchy officiated.

Saturday, August 28, 1937

Married at the United Church, Bay Roberts, August 17th, by the Rev. H. Tomkinson, Ruby, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Hiram YOUNG, to George, son of Mr. & Mrs. Hezekiah HYNES, both of St. John's.

Married at Foxtrap, August 14th, by Rev. Heber Gosse, Lillian, daughter of Mrs. Annie and the late Captain DAY, of St. John's, to Frederick M. WELLS, assistant magistrate at LaScie.

Michael MURPHY, of Bell Island, aged 47 years, was found Wednesday morning, drowned in a pit which was filled with water.


Mrs. A.J. DUNCAN of LaHave, N.S., is in town on a visit to her daughter, Mrs. Dr. Drover.

Mrs. (Capt.) John DAWE, of Coley's Point, left here by Thursday's express for Grand Falls, on a visit to her daughter, Mrs. Allen Bradbury.

Issues Missing or Not Published: Sept. 4; Sept. 11

Saturday, September 13, 1937

Thomas SEALEY, of Hant's Harbour, T.B., formerly of Bareneed, passed away August 12th, at the age of 79 years. He left to mourn their loss a wife, one brother, Rev. W.R. Sealey, at Victoria, B.C., five sisters, one in Alberta and two in Watertown, U.S.A., Mrs. John Mercer, Country Road, and Mrs. Geo. Kelly, Coley's Point, and a large circle of friends.


Mrs. Albeert HOOPER and three children, who were visiting her parents, Mr. & Mrs. George TITFORD of Shearstown, left by Sunday's express for Boston. This is Mrs. Hooper's first visit in 14 years.

Passed peacefully away on September 9th at Coley's Point, Bessie Welsh, aged 65 years, beloved wife of James NORMAN. Left to mourn are one son, Ray of New York and one daughter, Mrs. L.T. Stick, Coley's Point and five grandchildren. Funeral took place September 11th.

Saturday, September 25, 1937

Miner is killed at Florence, C.B., N.S. - Stanley FRY, aged 34. Sydney Mines. - Struck by a fall of stone while about his duties at Florence colliery recently, Stanley Fry was almost instantly killed. Employed in the colliery as a shooter and loader, the unfortunate man was carrying out his usual work when the fall occurred, crushing him to death. The deceased was a son of William Fry and resided on Pitt St. with his wife and family. His death by accident marked the first in the collier for several months and cast a gloom over the entire community. Following the accident the miners immediately quit work for the remainder of the day. Note - Stanley Fry is the son of Wm. & the late Mrs. Fry formerly of Shearstown.

Born at the Grace Hospital, St. John's, September 23rd, to Mr. & Mrs. Edward A. MERCER, a son.

Cecil TILLER, aged 44, formerly of Newtown, Bonavista Bay, lost his life early Tuesday morning on the railway right of way, about six miles west of Badger, when he was hit by a boxcar of a freight train which left Millertown Junction for Bishop's Falls at 4:29 a.m. Tuesday.

The body of Sidney WEYMOUTH, late mate of the banker "Coral Spray" was recovered on Wednesday at Watering Cove, St. Shotts, where the vessel went ashore on Wednesday of last week. The captain, Fred Parsons, and two other were saved and the mate was drowned. The "Coral Spray" loaded coal at North Sydney and bound north, ran ashore.

Mrs. Laura E. BARTON, Vice President of Louis Barton, Inc., Paper Converters, of Elizabeth, New Jersey, U.S.A., is visiting at the home of her brother, John Robert BISHOP, Coley's Point. This is Mrs. Barton's first visit to Newfoundland in twenty years. Mrs. Barton is returning to her home today by the S.S. Fort Amherst.

Saturday, October 2, 1937

Married - On Monday, September 20th, at the Curling Manse, Miss Elizabeth W. ROWSELL, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Walter Rowsell of Corner Brook was united in matrimony to Robert TRAPNELL, son of Mr. & Mrs. K.S. Trapnell, also of Corner Brook.

Fatal Accident on Bell Island - Wm. POWER, aged 46 years, married with wife and eight children, lost his life Thursday night in No. 2 mine of the Dominion Steel and Coal Company at Bell Island, when a premature blast went off. As far as could be learned he was instantly killed. The deceased was employed for a number of years by the Company as a blaster. The deceased was born in Conception Hr. and his wife was Miss MARY SULLIVAN of Harbour Main. He leaves to mourn eight children. His aged mother over 70 years old lives with him. Mrs. Richard Hearn of Philadelphia and Mrs. Stephen Myers of Bell Island are sisters and Frank of Buchans and Lawrence and Leo of Philadelphia are brothers.

Died at Coley's Point, September 23rd, Mrs. Mary Emma SNOW. Leaving to mourn one son, James and three daughters, Mrs. Nathan Brown, Bay Roberts, Mrs. Wm. R. Hussey, Port de Grave and Mrs. Batten, Bareneed. Funeral took place Sept. 25th to the C. of E. church and cemetery.

Died suddenly at Bay Roberts, Sept. 28th, Ellen, beloved wife of the late Patrick DAWSON, aged 79 years. Left to mourn are four sons, William and Augustus, at home, and Sylvester and Charles at Sydney, N.S., three daughters, Mrs. Stephen Fitzpatrick, Mrs. Thomas Fitzpatrick and Julia at home. Funeral took place Thursday to the R.C. church and cemetery. Rev. M.F. Dinn officiating.

Saturday, October 9, 1937

Wedding - On October 5th, at St. Matthew's Church, Bay Roberts, Margaret Lucy, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. George S. BUTT,of Bay Roberts, became the bride of James Ronald, son of Mr. & Mrs. James R. CHALKER, of St. John's, the ceremony being performed by Rev. George Gruchy. The bride's attendants were Miss Alice Butt and Miss Mary Butt. Both are sisters of the bride. Mr. Percy Crosbie was best man, while the ushers were Messrs. Ted Perlin and Eric Campbell. The couple took the express to Grand Falls for their honeymoon. After their return Mr. & Mrs. Chalker will reside on Forest Rd., St. John's.

Wedding - A quiet wedding took place at Carbonear, October 4th, at the residence of Rev. Dr. & Mrs. Howse, when Mary Phyllis, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. W.K. MERCER of St. John's, was united in marriage with Claude Kilborn, son of Rev. Dr. & Mrs. HOWSE, of Carbonear. The ceremony was performed by the groom's father, Rev. Charles Howse, D.D. Miss Florence Mercer, sister of the bride was bridesmaid and Mr. Gerald Drover was best man.

Saturday, October 23, 1937

Two men killed at Grand Falls - At 2:15 p.m. on Tuesday a safety plug blew out of the acid tank in the sulphite department of the Anglo Development Company's Mill at Grand Falls and resulted in the accidental death by gas of Harry Bertram RUSSELL, aged 37, of Coley's Point, and James BARKER, aged 35, married with five children, of Grand Falls, as well as injuring several others. The body of the late Bertram Russell arrived here by Wednesday's train. His funeral took place on Thursday from the residence of Mr. George Tippett, Coley's Point, to the C. of E. Church and cemetery. Bert Russell was a Guardian newsboy several years ago. Later he went to Toronto where he was employed until about three or four years ago when he returned home. Early this year he went to Grand Falls where he was employed as an iron worker. Not feeling well, he returned from Grand Falls a little over two weeks ago for a rest and left here again on Thursday of last week. Bert was working in the sulfite dept. when the fatal accident occurred. Further particulars of the accident are not yet available.

Wedding - The wedding of Miss Emmie SNOW, daughter of Mrs. Mary Snow and the late John Snow, of Bay Roberts, to Howard HARRIS, of Bonavista, took place, October 19th, at St. John's. The ceremony was performed by Rev. F.H. Armitage at Wesley United Church Manse. The groom was supported by Mr. Baxter Snow, brother of the bride, while the bride was attended by Miss Pearl Elms. The honeymoon is being spent at St. John's, and the happy couple will leave for Bonavista, their future home, by this Sunday's express.

Has Skull Fractured By Auto - Sydney, N.S., Oct. 10 - William ROLLS, 49, was killed here Saturday night when he was struck by a car driven by Thomas Williamson, New Waterford. The open hearth worker was leaving his work at the Sydney mines when he was struck almost in the shadow of his home. A coroner's jury adjourned tonight to hear evidence of the driver. Roll's son, Judson, was walking ahead of him when he heard a crash. He turned and saw a man lying face down on the street. He did not realize it was his father until he identified the lunch can near the body. Roll s died five minutes after he was admitted to hospital. Dr. A. Gaum, who treated Rolls, told ht\\the jury death was due to a fractured skull together with bodily injuries and shock. The operator of the car was prostrated after the accident and had to be treated at hospital for shock. Rolls was a native of Bonavista, Nfld., and had been employed in the steel mills for 21 years. Besides his wife he is survived by three daughters and two sons. A brother, Allister, lives in Bonavista. Note: William Rolls is survived by his wife, formerly Lottie CAVE, daughter of the late Charles and Elizabeth Cave, of this town. Also three sisters, Mrs. Thomas Mercer, North Sydney, Mrs. Curtis, of St. John's, Nfld., another sister residing in Bonavista, two sons and three daughters.

Youth Loses Life in Fall over Cliff - On Saturday afternoon, Eric BONNER, age 17, lost his life when he fell over a precipice on the north side of Quidi Vidi Gut at a point known as Bowler's Hole. The victim, with a companion, Frederick Noseworthy, went for a hike over the White Hills on Saturday afternoon and were climbing along the ledges of the cliff facing the sea when some rock gave way under the lad Bonner's feet and he fell thirty or forty feet to another ledge and then to the bottom of the gulch, a distance of 200 feet or more. Mr. Bonner, the lad's father, who is employed at Jas. Baird Ltd., was informed of the accident and the police in a motor boat and from the land engaged in a search for the body.

Passed peacefully away October 16th, at London, Ont., Margaret RUTHERFORD, widow of the late Wm. WARD. Left to mourn are one son Frank, and three daughters, Mary and Mrs. Geo. Foote at London, Ont., also Mrs. Alex Stevenson of St. John's. Interment will take place at Harbour Grace, Oct. 24th.

Not Published - October 30 issue.

Saturday, November 6, 1937

Obituary - Stephen RUSSELL, who passed away following an operation, August 26th, was a resident of this town for 46 years. He was the son of the late Stephen and Mary Russell of Coley's Point, Bay Roberts, Nfld., and born Sept. 15th, 1865, the second oldest of eight children. His early life was devoted to fishing and other pursuits around Newfoundland, later working in the Iron Works in Nova Scotia. In 1891 he married Emily PORTER of Harbour Grace, Nfld., and about a year later came to the United States and settled at Boothbay Harbour where two children were born. He continued to follow the sea on vessels of Captains John Seavey, George McKown and other well-known sea faring men of that time. Afterwards he worked several years at Squirrel Island and for the past eight years was employed by Frank W. Spencer as caretaker of the latter's estate at West Boothbay Harbour. He is survived by his widow, one brother, Edward Russell, three sisters, Mrs. John Lemonie and Mrs. Samuel Batten, Coley's Point, and Mrs. Samuel Mercer, Smith Street, Bay Roberts, his children, Mrs. F.H. Wylie of Arlington Heights, Mass., Mrs. John Riley of Wiscasset, and four grandchildren. The funeral was held from his late residence, August 29th, with Rev. F.L. Littlefield officiating. Interment was in the Ocean View Cemetery.

Obituary - There occurred at Riverhead, Brigus, on Oct.. 22nd, after a short illness, the death of Captain John CLARKE in his 73rd year. The deceased as his father before him chose the sea as his vocation, by his own initiative perseverance; he reached the height of his ambition and became a captain of outstanding ability. He leaves to mourn his wife Lydia, three sons and one daughter, namely Captain Ralph of Dartmouth, N.S.; Captain Victor of Montreal; Doctor Roy of London, England; Mrs. Florence Burstall of Pentz, N.S.; also his brother James and sister Margaret, residing in Boston, and his sister, Mrs. John Roberts of St. John's. The funeral took place at Brigus, Oct. 24th. Captain John Clarke was well known, having been in command of the S.S. Kyle on the Labrador service for many years.

Died - With feelings of deep regret we are called upon this week to record the passing of the founder, publisher and editor of The Guardian, Charles Edward RUSSELL, J.P., whose death occurred at Bay Roberts, Oct. 30th, at the age of 60 years. A lengthy illness which had developed into cancer has thus terminated the life of one of this town's best know citizens. Born at Bay Roberts on May 14th, 1877, C.E. Russell was the only son of Charles and Mary A. (Drover) Russell. He was twice married. First at Toronto in 1901, to Frances M. (Andrews) Pike, of St. John's (died 1929). Children: Gladys (Mrs. W.E. Cave), Flint, Michigan; Charles R., Corner Brook; George (deceased); Winifred, Pickering, Ont.; Arthur, David and Wilson, at home. Secondly: Otilia A. Leitland, of Latvia. Children: Edgar, James and Lydia. Two sisters, Mrs. G.D. Corkum, Manchester, N.H., and Mrs. Georgina Pike, St. John's, and one grandchild, David Cave, also survive. Funeral was held Nov. 1st, to Central United Church and cemetery.

Issue Missing - Nov. 13

Saturday, November 20, 1937

Obituary - There passed to his eternal reward, on Nov. 16th, one of St. John's oldest and highly respected citizens in the person of Stephen BRADBURY. Born at Bay Roberts on Feb. 20th, 1858, the deceased came to St. John's in 1885 to enter the employ of Messrs. P. Rogerson & Son. For many years he was the firm's agent and representative at Holton and other fishing settlements on the Labrador. Later he entered the Civil Service and was appointed Sub-Collector of Customs at Rigolette and afterwards at St. John's up to the time of his retirement about seven years ago. For a umber of years the deceased was manager of the Protestant Industrial Assoc. whose success was largely due to his unfailing efforts and careful supervision. He is survived by his wife, three daughters Mrs. A.H. Foote, Toronto, Mrs. A.B.S. Stirling and Mrs. Harvey Small of St. John's, and three sons, Samuel of St. John's, Alan of Grand Falls, and Cecil of Deer Lake, besides 16 grandchildren and three great grandchildren, (a brother, Samuel Bradbury, resides at Country Rd.). - Evening Telegram.

Died at Corner Brook on Nov. 16th, Edward FINN, aged 77 years, formerly of Spaniard's Bay and ex-Road Master of the Nfld. Railway. Left to mourn are three sons, John at Deer Lake; Richard and Edward, at Corner Brook, and one daughter, Mrs. T. Coombs, of Corner Brook. Interment took place Nov. 18th to the R.C. church and cemetery, Rev. Fr. Meaney officiating.

Saturday, November 27, 1937

Born to Mr. & Mrs. Harold GOSSE (nee Doris MARSHALL) of Spaniard's Bay, Nov. 26th, a daughter.

Saturday, December 4, 1937

Died at Bay Roberts, Nov. 28th, Joseph SNOW, of John, aged 70 years. Left to mourn their loss are wife, one son, Lewis, at home; four daughters, Winnie (Mrs. Herbert A. Reid), Hilda (Mrs. Stanley G. Reid), and Flora at Chelsea, Mass., and Sevie (Mrs. Clarence Forward), at Providence, R.I. Funeral took place Nov. 30th to the United Church and cemetery, Rev. S.R. Cooper officiating.

Motor Car Fatality: Shortly after midnight on Sunday last while a motor car, in which there were six passengers, was returning from Deer Lake to Corner Brook over the new highroad just opened, a fatal accident occurred when the car went over an embankment near Little Harbor, near the foot of Deer Lake. The accident was supposed to have been caused by a blowout of one of the tires. The car crashed over the embankment on the left side of the road completely wrecking the machine and leaving all occupants in a state of unconsciousness. All the occupants were taken to Corner Brook Hospital where it was found that they were suffering from concussion. Dermott Collins, Madeline Joy and Janet Ryles had face and scalp lacerations and other injuries. On Monday all but Miss Joy and Dermott Collins showed signs of recovery. Two were able to return to their homes. Dermott Collins, nineteen years old, son of Mr. & Mrs. W. Collins, and Madeline Joy, aged nineteen years, daughter of Mr. Matthew Joy, died on Tuesday. The six passengers were Albert KELLY, driver; with Madeline JOY and Dermott COLLINS in the front seat; and in the rear seat were Hunter WINSOR, Janet RYLES and Maurice KELLEY.

Two Children Perish in Flames As Home Burns - Edward Gregory SINNOTT aged 27 months and Helen Marie SINNOTT, aged 1 year, the only children of Mr. & Mrs. Edward Sinnott of Blackhead Rd., St. John's, were burned to death Monday afternoon at 4:40 o'clock, when a one story bungalow was destroyed by fire. Mrs. Sinnott had to leave her home to get some water at a well some four or five minutes walk from her house. The little boy, Edward, wanted to go with her, but she gave him something to play with and went on. When she got to the well she found it was so low that she could not reach the water. It took some little time to get to the well because she had to walk around the quarry and down the road a little distance. Finding the water low in the well, Mrs. Sinnott went into the home of Mrs. Thomas Hurley and asked for a rope to let down the bucket. Whilst in the house a man named William Curtis came in and said "the Sinnott house is on fire." When Mrs. Sinnott and the three men arrived the house was a mass of flames, and was impossible for anybody to enter. When the fire was extinguished a search was made of the ruins. The little boy was found under a bed and the little girl under a couch, both with life extinct.

Wedding - A very pretty wedding took place on Nov. 25th, at the Pentecostal Tabernacle, Casey Street, with Pastor H. Snelgrove officiating, when Elsie, daughter of Elizabeth and the late Walter SOPER of Hant's Hr., was united in marriage to Clarence, son of Mr. John BADCOCK of Shearstown. The bride was given in marriage by her uncle Mr. James Garland. She was attended by her sister Myrtle and Miss Marin Stanford. The groom was supported by Walter Butler and Mr. George Roberts. After the ceremony, the bridal party motored to the home of Mrs. F.W. Rennie, Winter Avenue, where a very enjoyable evening was spent. The following day the bride and groom left for Shearstown where they will make their future home.

Saturday, December 11, 1937

Engineer and Fireman Killed - Train Wreck - A disastrous train wreck occurred shortly after one o'clock Monday morning near St. John's when engine No. 1000 and two loaded freight cars plunged over a treasle at Flynn's Dump, Mount Pearl. Engineer Arnold WEBBER and Fireman Moses COURAGE were killed. The train which consisted of 12 loaded boxcars and a caboose was bound from Bishop's Falls to St. John's, in charge of Conductor James Crawley, Brakesmen Sellars and Morgan, and a passenger, George Foley. These four were riding in the caboose at the time and escaped without injury. When the train reached Clarenville the locomotives were changed and the last stop before the mishap occurred was at Brigus Junction. After the engine had taken its fatal plunge over the 25 foot embankment, it rested on its side almost submerged in gravel, with the tender on top lines at right angles to the direction in which it was going. The body of Moses Courage was found upright position near the door of the cab. The body of Arnold Webber was found with his hand on the throttle. Engineer Arnold Webber had been employed by the railway about 40 years. He was born at Harbour Grace 60 years ago. He is survived by a widow. Moses Courage was 49 years of age. He leaves to mourn a wife and eight children. The bodies of engineer Webber and fireman Courage were taken to Hr. Grace by train on Wednesday. Interment took place at Hr. Grace.

A message to the Chief of Police at St. John's from St. George's last week, reported that search parties have failed to find Llewellyn SMITH missing at Middle Arm since Nov. 18th. The missing man, who is 20 years of age, belongs to Sound Island, P.B. He was employed with the Island Timber Co. and was never seen after he left camp on Thursday morning to go in the woods.

Drowning Accident - Thomas STUCKLESS, caretaker of the pulpwood boom at Steady Brook, was accidentally drowned in Humber River yesterday while on the way up to his station in a motorboat. The accident occurred near Duncan's Rock. As far as can be learned at this writing, his boat had grounded and in an effort to throw out a grapnel, he fell overboard and was drowned. - Humber Herald, Dec. 4.

Drowning - The ten year old son of Mr. & Mrs. Bennett SNOW, of Howley, was drowned at that place on Sunday, Nov. 28th. The lad fell through the ice on the pond. The body was recovered later.

Died at Coley's Point, Dec. 10th, Naomi SPENCER, widow of the late John Spencer, aged 79 years. Left to mourn their loss are two sons, Bert of Coley's Point, and Herbert of Vancouver, B.C., and one daughter Mrs. Ebenezer Bowering, Coley's Point. Also one brother, Archibald Reid, of South River, Clarke's Beach and one sister, Mrs. Robert Bartlett, of St. John's. Funeral takes place Dec. 12th to the S.A. cemetery, Coley's Point.

Saturday, December 18, 1937

John STOCK, aged 50 years, died suddenly at his home on Knight St., St. John's on Sunday last.

Wedding - A quiet wedding was solemnized Dec. 2nd, at St. Hilda's Anglican Church, Montreal, when Miss Sybil Gertrude RUSTED, daughter of Rev. E.E. Rusted and Mrs. Rusted of Carbonear, Nfld. was married to Mr. Malcolm Duncan MacDONALD of Toronto, Ont., son of the late Mr. & Mrs. MacDonald of North Sydney, N.S. The Rev. Nathan Noseworthy performed the ceremony. She was attended by her sister Miss Joan Rusted. The bride was given away by Mr. Joseph D. Young and the best man was Mr. C.H. Cameron, of Toronto. Among the guests present was Miss Annie H. Hayward, M.B.E. of Nfld. Note - Mr. M.D. MacDonald was a former Manager of the Bank of Nova Scotia at Bay Roberts.

Passed peacefully away, Dec. 14th, at her home, Coley's Point, Rachel, aged 63 years, beloved wife of W.H. GREENLAND. Left to mourn are husband, four daughters, Madge, Edith and Amy, at home, and Rita, in England, also one brother, W.S. Bishop and five sisters; Mrs. John Bishop, Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, Mrs. Agnes LeDrew, Cupids, Mrs. Eliza Bartlett, of Brigus, Mrs. H.W. Noseworthy, Toronto, Canada. Funeral took place Dec. 16th to the C. of E. church and cemetery, Rev. H. Torraville officiating.

Next Saturday being Christmas Day, our issue for that week will be made on Thursday, Dec. 23rd.

Saturday, December 23, 1937

There passed peacefully away at Port McNicholl, Ont., Canada, December 4th, Jessie Barrett, beloved wife of Mark SMITH, formerly of Bishop's Cove, Nfld., known to all as Aunt Jessie. Coming to Canada 40 years ago, and after spending 10 years in Montreal, they moved to Owen Sound, Ont., and later on to Port McNicoll. Mr. Smith retiring from the Canadian Pacific Railway three years ago. The service was conducted by the Rev. M.E. Flatt, United Church Minister of Port McNicoll, also the Salvation Army Officer, Adjt. Barfoot of Midland. Interment took place at Midland, Dec. 6th, the Port McNicoll Canadian Pacific Railway staff being well represented, including four well known Great Lake captains acting as pall bearers.

Married - At Holy Redeemer Church, Spaniard's Bay, Dec. 21st, by Rev. E. Hunt, Dorothy B., daughter of Mr. & Mrs. A. JONES of Brigus, was united in marriage to David B., son of the late Mr. & Mrs. C.E. RUSSELL of Bay Roberts.

Engagement Announced - Mr. & Mrs. Roy W. MYERS of Bay Roberts, Nfld. announce the engagement of their daughter Margaret Helena to Mr. Herbert Leslie SMITH, son of Mr. & Mrs. Alfred J. Smith of Staplehurst, Kent, England.